Gap between tile and bathtub

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsamples

Reaction score
I didn't check that my bathtub was level across the narrow end before I started tiling the wall above. Now that I'm finished tiling there is about a 1/4" gap between the tub and the bottom of the tile on the left of the end and about 3/4" gap on the right of that end. The 1/4" gap is what I was going for and was going to fill with caulk, but don't know that I can or should fill the large gap with caulk. Debating filling the space with grout, but not sure how that would work either. I felt like a real doofus when I saw how it turned out. Any suggestions?

photo3.jpg

Wecome to the site. You are not alone I made the same mistake. Mine is filled with silicone and looks like crap with dark tile. If those are 6x6 tile and you could remove the bottom row and get some 8x8 and cut them to fit, 6 wide however high.

Sorry, but the bigger problem is the plane of the wall not being far enough out to let the bottom course of tile overlap the flange. I build my wall 1/8" above the level line of the tub using shims to hold the first course. This allows for filling the tub with water, then applying sealant to the bottom edge after the tiling is completed.

Neal has a great point, but from what I see, your tile is set too far into the wall. The bottom course should OVERLAP the flange ... instead it sits in a position which will permanently allow leakage.

flange.jpg

I think my photo could be misleading due to a shadow. In fact, the tile does overlap the flange of the tub. My construction is just like what your excellent diagram shows, its just that the bottom of the tile ends farther from the horizontal surface of the tub than I would like. By the way, I wish I had seen that diagram a lot earlier, it took me forever to figure out that was the cement board and tile went on in relation to the flange.

Like I said, mine looks just like yours and I filled it with silicone. I have considered just puting on some trim tile to cover it all but with an odd colour I haven't found one but with white it might work .

Latest posts

Back