floorboards softening, sagging and separating

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripley

Reaction score
I am new to this s o i hope i'm doing it correctly:
about 8 months ago,i had spray insulation blown into my house - in the attic floor and roof and in the basement ceiling. I don't know if this is related, but since then, i keep noticing that my floor is beginning to sag,, when i walk on certain spots it presses in as if i'm walking on rubber mats, and the boards are beginning to separate. how serious is this and can it be fixed?

Welcome to House Repair Talk, Tripley.

I moved this to the general discussion board because I think it will see more views here.

Get your contractor back there and take pictures!!
You may have trapped water and decayed the wood in the home.

Do you have a crawl space? How old is the house? What type of roof and siding do you have?
What kind of foam did they use, open cell? Closed cell?and what was the density? There should be a number by the pound.

I bought the house in 2001. it's an 1700 sqft ranch. it was built in 1980-siding is wood, roof is asphalt. i have a full basement. i'm not sure about the kind of foam, but i'll try to find out. would that make a difference in how it acts with the sub floor?
one thing i have seen is that the insulation in the attic has caused brown spots on my ceiling in several rooms, which i have painted over.

You have moisture issues, and it seems like they may be serious.
If they installed 1/2 pound Icynene foam it works like a sponge if the house has moisture issues, and vapor and air barriers were not installed correctly. Moisture could be from unvented bathrooms, condensation in the basement from having no vapor barriers...not being there the list goes on.
You need a professional building scientist to give you an evaluation NOW.
I hope I am totally wrong in my opinion...but I have seen it many times.

Try a good American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI home inspector that deals with these issues, or try Building Science Corporation for another avenue. Be prepared to spend some $$ on these folks, and make sure you document everything with #s and who you talked to. And lots of pictures as you go. If you have a lawsuit, you will need these down the road.

Hope I am wrong, but good luck.

inspectorD,
i spke with my local ashi inpsector this morning. he agrees with your diagnosis & i'll let you know how his inspection goes. thanks so much for your info and advice.

Back