Cardboard looking stuff under wallpaper?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtbingle

Reaction score
Currently removing super old wallpaper in my grandma's basement with an end goal to paint. If you see in the top picture, certain sections are scraped to a white, paper-like surface and others reveal a brown, cardboard-like surface.

The second picture is a section of the material I found in the basement that I think was used. Is it some sort of gypsum? It has a Georgia-Pacific label, but no other identifiers. One side is brown cardboard and the other is a white paper-like surface.

It's almost as if some of the sheets were installed with cardboard layer facing out and others with the white paper surface facing out (see top picture). Would it be better to:
1) Rip it down, put in standard drywall, and then paint
2) Scrape it down to the cardboard level, skim it with joint compound, sand/smooth, then paint?

34hbbkh.jpg

zl2n84.jpg

picture #2 is showing 1/2" or 1/4" drywall.
either approach will work.

hmm the liner is not a bad idea at all. The bottom half of wall is OSB w/ trim too. That would save having to skim coat that as well.

I've seen it used to cover cement blocks, it smooths it enough to allow wallpaper. It would probably do the trick for you on the OSB as well.

Latest posts

Back