Dryer vent in a bad place. Double wide

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
We just purchased this double wide mobile home. When we put our washer and dryer in I realized that the vent is placed on the outer wall (obviously) but the dryer is backed up to an inside wall. How do I fix this so that I can push the dryer all the way back to the wall. Btw I am a single mom just trying to get things done. Any advice would be appreciated. Tia

These allow you to place the dryer closer to the wall. But I'm not sure about turning a corner. Is it impossible to place your dryer with the back facing the outside wall? Some dryers can have the exhaust come out the side of the dryer, if yours is capable you'll see an outline of the hole stamped in the side of the dryer. I've never done it so I'm not sure what is involved.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-24-in-to-45-in-Adjustable-Periscope-Dryer-Vent/3203041

If I turn the dryer I wouldn’t be able to open the door. The washer is right beside it. I will take a look at the right side. Not easy since it is against that wall. But I’m sure I can manage. So that product at Lowe’s wouldn’t work?

Sounds like you need some changes. If the duct goes down and then out it could be moved to the other wall. Or to the very back of that wall.

Something like sparky's link could be made to work just to go on the wall from the outlet to the corner and then the dryer duct would just go sideways

That’s a crazy looking set up whoever did that vent in that location. The above poster is correct a lot of dryers have a side knockout that lets the dryer move back but it would still be a pain getting the hose attached.

Can you take a picture from the front of both the dryer and washer. What don’t you like? Is it that they are not flush together or that the dryer needs to go back more. Could you pull the washer out and that would be ok?

If not I think you might need to have a new vent put in higher and back on the wall.

The vent should be back a lot closer to the other wall. I can't imagine that there is a lot of framing in the way preventing it from being 2-3" off of the other wall. Be that as is may, moving the vent will involve cutting another hole in the side of the house and trying to patch the existing hole.

If you can post the make and model number of the dryer we can look it up online to see if it has the capability of venting out that side and what it would take to make it happen. You might need some help, but I think that would be the easiest solution if your dryer can do it. Otherwise, I think you need to relocate the vent further back as bud mentions. A decent handyman could probably handle either task. If you're not handy and don't have tools a good handyman can be invaluable.

Back