advice about remodeling timeframe

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globetrotters93

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this sight as well as home remodeling (a total novice actually). We have been living overseas for fourteen years and have always rented out our places in the States. We are finally moving back home and finally get to actually live in our house. I need advice about how to find a reliable general contractor in the area since we we've never lived in this house don't have friends/family in the area who could give us references. Also, ...once the renters move out we will only have four weeks or so before all our furniture arrives and we move in. Is is possible to do the following in that timeframe:

Kitchen: new countertops,cabinet resurfacing,new floors and appliances
Bathrooms: new fixtures,tubs,sinks,countertops,floors
First level (approx. 1,000 sq. feet) carpet out and hardwood floor put in (or something like Pergo)

It seems a bit complicated to do this from overseas...but I'd really like the house all finished before we move in. Any advice would be appreciated.

This time of the year is so busy, and you are looking at such a broad range of projects. I don't know if you can get it together in that time frame or not.

If I were you though, I would contact a flooring company in the area. Some of these companies can put you in touch with the best contractors in the area. Floors and countertops all seem to fall together in the same stage of construction. AND, if there's a contractor doing lot's of business with a flooring company, he's probably getting jobs done pretty quick.

Just my best guess, please don't blame me if you try this and it fails miserably.

Tom in KY, It's hard to get this sort of thing done on short notice.

Latest posts

Back