How do demo concrete mantel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speech529

Reaction score
We want to remodel our fireplace surround. The mantel appears to be made of cement and the surround is cinder block. The hearth is probably a cement slab. All of this is covered with stucco.

We will keep the surround and hearth as is and recover it with travertine.

We want to remove the cement mantel--it is huge and an eyesore. My husband thought it might be best to just cover it with a wooden facade but I think that will make it even larger and more out of proportion than it is:

Here are the current dimensions:

length: = 5.5 feet (66 inches)
width = 9 inches
depth = 12 inches

The mantel is rectangular with the bottom portion being slanted down toward the wall. I have attached photos.

What is the best way to remove it? Thanks in advance.

fireplace.jpg

fireplace2.jpg

fireplace3.jpg

fireplace4.jpg

I would bet you will find wood inside. It would be a lot of work the form up for concrete when it isn't necessary.

It may well be CMU rather than solid concrete and a few smacks with a hammer should clear that up.

Protect the floor with spare carpet or tempered masonite, mask off the area, a couple of dust masks, rent a demo/chipping hammer, hose your husband off when he's done so you don't plug the shower drain.:)

My husband was unable to drill through the mantel...perhaps it is CMU...the surround certainly is. After removing a decorative facade we can see the concrete blocks on the surround.

Thanks

That is ONE UGLY fireplace.

The tool of choice is a rotohammer with several different bits. I would recommend an angle grinder with masonry disks. Both can be rented for reasonable fees.

Cut the mantel horizontally along the base as deep as possible. (a larger grinder is best) Then score it vertically with deep cuts. Use a small spade bit on the rotohammer to break off the chunks by pounding between the cuts. You can probably cut the mantel completely off and level across and front to back. When you apply the new mantle it will cover the rest.

The stucco can be stripped using the spade bit. Clean it up with the grinder and you are ready to make it right.

PS .... LOTS of dust. Wear mask, eye protection, and gloves

ROTO.jpg

grinder.JPG

Back