Floor Lamp Bulb Cover

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkratchman

Reaction score
I bought an old floor lamp at a yard sale. It has 3 chandler bulbs and a regular light in the center. One of the chandler bulb sockets is covered with what looks like cardboard and the other 2 are missing the cover. The cardboard covers the wiring that leads up to the socket.

I'm concerned the cardboard may contain asbestos. Could someones suggest material I could use to cover the wiring? I have regular cardboard but I'm concerned it could catch fire.

Thanks
Paul

I'm pretty sure there is no asbestos involved. The cardboard is only there to prevent shocks. Since most of the heat goes up, there is little chance of the cardboard overheating / singe-ing. They will dry out over time (takes a long time for that to happen), so if you feel better about it, replace them.

But go to an electrical supply store or order online. Home Depot & Lowes don't carry them.

http://www.candlecoverstore.com/Replacement-Cardboard-Insulator-Candelabra-IN-C.htm

Latest posts

Back