Remodeling kitchen, any advice?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My best advice, when it comes to kitchens and baths, is to hire a professional. You have plumbing, electrical, rough and finish carpentry, and heat. With all these different aspects if you really don't know what you are doing, the chance for error is great. I'm not saying you can't do it, but if you are going to attempt, anything you aren't confident with, you should seek professional assistance.

12 years ago I needed professionals a lot. Now I need them a lot less. They are still handy but not for what I've learned to do.

I'm a quick study and willing to take the risk. In time ( over twelve years) I got to the point where I can do most plumbing, carpentry, rough and finish, a goodly chunk of electrical, drywall and even laid my first sheet vinyl floor with pattern, lined up and right. I'm to the point where I can actually start charging for stuff but just don't want to yet. (I also used to like computers too until I got paid to be a network operator. Now I can just barely stand em'.)

Do what you know, then ask lots of questions. No such thing as a stupid question. A lot of good people here willing to help. Just keep asking questions. Take classes if you can. Free ones at your local big box, also continuing adult education, courtesy of your local public schools and community colleges.

Safety first, last and always. I have scar tissue from being stupid. Be smart. Measure twice, cut once...with safety goggles and hands well away from the blade.

DIY is what's it's all about. Everyone starts out knowing little and or nothing and then learns. Learning is what it's all about.

Of course I'm a hard case. I only seek professional assistance when I'm on fire and sunk.

Anyone can learn ...just like you said. But Askin those questions is the biggest part, the second is getting the correct advice.

I always GO to the library...get a book and learn something about the background first. Then I get an idea of how to phrase or ask the right question. This helps to get the correct answer.

But for all you folks out there who don't ask...we can't tell.:D

So ask...there is no embarassing question on a computer forumn.

Only help.:)

Like rusted bird said.;)

The biggest problem I have had with the pros is scheduling, if you do it all you don't have to call each contractor 3 or 4 times to get them on the job. Another thing that just scorched my hide was having to finish or correct the work I paid to have done.
Glenn

Back