Newly installed thermostat quit after 20 min.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My old thermostat started reading hi, 81-82 before the a/c would kick on even though it was set on 77. Normally it would start right away if I changed the temp setting, then it did nothing.

I just finished installing a new one and it worked for all of 20 minutes. Customer support/tech service for this new one is closed until Monday.

Any suggestions?

Reinstall the old one until Monday. This will at least let you know if is indeed the new stat or if something went wrong with your system.

I was thinking about doing that but then the craziest thing happened. About 2 hours after my post the darn thing came on again and ran for a little bit. Although it was set a 76, the temp read at 80. Figured I would put the old back today, however, the new one is running and holding at 76.

Maintenance isn't due until June but I am calling tomorrow to set up an appointment.

It's just a plain non-programmable stat. Since I am home most of the time didn't make much sense to have one with too many features (and maybe problems).

I don't like the new one but it was the only non-pg they had. I plan to put the old one back after service (they just called, on the way as I type). If the old one is still good I will attempt to return the other one. Actually, I may return it anyway and go to another store with hopefully a better selection.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

There is an adjustment inside (most) t-stats that sets the trigger point in comparison to the temp. That's so there is a more consistent heat flow and less fluctuation in the room temp. Perhaps your new one just is out of adjustment....or maybe you just got a lemon :(

Well, as it turned out, after maintenance service, the problem was dirty coils. Seems that pieces of the stuff was falling down and blocking the water flow. The safety feature kept shutting it down. I'm guessing that's why it took 2-3 hours for the water to drain before it would crank on, then only run for a short time.

I had a condensate pump installed last year because it was always backing up and leaking. Tech said it should be serviced twice a year to keep the line open, I usually have it done once a year.

Tech guy just came to clean the coils (evidently it's a time consuming job), that's why it is not covered under maintenance check, even if you have a service contract. He said the coils will be like new when his is done.

Anyway, as I said in another help post, when this Trane leaves the station, I am going back to Rheem.

Put the old stat back and returned the new one.

Latest posts

Back