Ceiling patch help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lafonte98

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a small hole about the size of a half dollar or so in my ceiling. The texture is semi rough but not popcorn style. I'm a rookie on patching drywall. Does anyone have tips on how to get this patched and blend in with ceiling? Any advice is apprectiated.

Thanks,

Greg

Can you post a picture? There are a lot of different textures, fortunately, your hole isn't large.

Can you post a picture? There are a lot of different textures, fortunately, your hole isn't large.
I will tonight. I figured this would help with suggestions but forgot to take one when I left my house.

Welcome to the site.

I cut a a patch piece first a little bigger than the hole then re-cut the hole to fit the patch.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDLyrSqicoQ[/ame]

Is there an attic above this ceiling or a second floor? With a small hole, I'm not sure I'd make it bigger to do Neal's patch. If you can get a backer up there to push the drywall compound against, I would do that and start layering in compound allowing each layer to dry before applying more. Without the texture, I'd use a self-adhesive mesh patch to span the hole and do several coats with drywall compound. The mesh complicates the repair.

Here are some youtube videos on matching various drywall textures. There are knockdown, orange peel, combed, swirls and other textures. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...atching+textures+on+drywall+youtube&FORM=VDRE

You can use a narrow piece of backer, with a couple of screws to hold it in.

Or you could chamfer the edges of the hole, fashion a piece of drywall with the reverse chamfer so that it will fit into the prepared hole in the ceiling, mix some fast set drywall dry mix compound, butter up both the hole and the patch, insert the patch, smooth any excess compound to the surface of the ceiling.

After it dries, sand to blend and apply texture from and airesole container.

The materials are available from your local hrdw. store.

I will tonight. I figured this would help with suggestions but forgot to take one when I left my house.
Here is a picture of the hole. The bathroom is on the basement and the top is sort of accessible but hard to reach.
49369f6d0e143c7fc0157044fc30fd1d.jpg

The aerosol texture cans should be able to help you match the texture. Go lightly and do multiple coats instead of trying to blast it with one coat.

The aerosol texture cans should be able to help you match the texture. Go lightly and do multiple coats instead of trying to blast it with one coat.
I have aerosol texture. I was wondering if I even needed a screen before applying joint compound? Is it possible I could just put a glob of joint compound in the hole then smooth it out and let it dry? Follow that up with the spray once dried??

The texture is adjustable, on the container, so use the scrap of drywall to refine the spray.

If you do not provide a sufficient adhesion surface, just packing a glob into the hole will shrink and not adhere, leaving it loos and a circular crack.

I have aerosol texture. I was wondering if I even needed a screen before applying joint compound? Is it possible I could just put a glob of joint compound in the hole then smooth it out and let it dry? Follow that up with the spray once dried??

Experience is gained when you re-invent the wheel.:trophy:

Back