need pretty wood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frodo

Reaction score
I need a 2x6 about 36" long. of some pretty hard wood.

i am restoring a 1890 old double barrel belgion shotgun,
and have to make the stock/ forend . what you got in your shed? that you have been holding on to?

I'll call my dad he lives in Florida and was a woodworker for years and gave up the hobby and is selling off his stuff. I can tear a stud out of my house if you want.

Go pick up a nice piece of Black Ebony wood. That stuff is great.

I've seen a few gun stocks made from tiger stripped African woods that were beautiful. If you can find some...

If your local hardwood supplier dosn't what you like there is an outfit in Texas that can get anything from anywhere.

heres a little tiger strip, not near as purdy as the one you posted M1-30 cal carbine

I understand, the way they do it is wrap a rope or rag, wrapped around it when its sprayed the first time. dont know if true,

strip 001.JPG

strip 002.JPG

an old shotgun you should be using some sort of Walnut, either English or Black Walnut.

an old shotgun you should be using some sort of Walnut, either English or Black Walnut.

I agree, but if he choose a exotic wood it would be a unique firearm unto itself. Either way it won't effect value cause that's taken out when you do restoration of any sort. And if it has special value other than sentimental, leave it original.

no sentimental, being restored, no value, just a neat looking wall hanger

you are correct, in thinking it should be closer to a walnut . i get carried away, it would look more athentic

Latest posts

Back