Need Input on botched book-matched countertop install - thought appreciated

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siran808

Reaction score
I'm a consumer finishing up a kitchen remodel and have come across a significant issue with my countertop install.

In short, I have a rather large island which is over 15 feet long and with a bar level (ie. 2 levels). I decided to splurge on the material I liked most, and after a long search found 3 beautiful Calacatta Gold slabs with minimum gold tones. Given the length of my island I made sure to find slabs that were also book matched. My fabricator has a new system they implemented within the past year and instead of taping off the slab, we used a really impressive computer software tool to layout the material - which included the critical book matching of the seams and mitered backsplash. Unfortunately, come installation time there were three issues (i) the countertop was not book-matched as agreed upon in the computer layout ( it was "off" by 2 inches"), (ii) to make matters worse, one of the backsplash pieces was 4 cm short - therefore if left unrepaired the vertical seam would not align with the horizontal seams, and (iii) the seam appear IMO to be unnecessarily large and jagged (granted fabricator mentioned that post install detailing would need to be done).

I understand the material itself cost $12k from the distributor, and I want to be reasonable consumer, but I'm very frustrated with the results thus far. What would people out there do - ask for them to redo the project, discount...?

I've attached some pictures (the third one should be the agreed upon computer layout- with the backsplash on the bottom of the picture, and countertop front on the top). The last picture is just a front view of the island not showing the area at issue.

Thanks!

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 9.48.38 AM.jpg

DSC05033.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

Last edited:
I would start by calling the installer and asking for the boss to come out and look and give you an explanation. He may agree with you and do it over.

Latest posts

Back