Old oak hardwood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixer47

Reaction score
We live in a home that still has the original oak hardwood floors, Great right well the last owners put carpet overthem and we noticed that the wood floors are starting to lift. Bad enough that my wife almost rolled her ancle.
We need to replace the floor do we leave the original hardwood(minus the parts that are lifting) and then put a layer of leveling concrete? Or are we going to have to remove all of the original hardwood?
Thanks

Hello Fixer:
I would get rid of the carpet and allow the floor to rest through the winter; it may go back down.
You may need to lay 6 mil plastic under the house and ventilate the crawl space well to combat the moisture. The heat in the house in the winter will dry it out very well. Then you could consider sanding it to restore the finish and use some area rugs to make them feel warmer and be quieter.
You are going to remodel the house and you are MARRIED too! For a little guy you sure are a glutton for punishment.
Glenn

If the floors are buckling enough for them to cause your wife to trip, I doubt they are going to settle back down all the way. I recommend going ahead with the repair.

Latest posts

Back