well water dilema

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikenice

Reaction score
I have a whole house water filtration system with a water softener attached. From what I'm told I have a filter that never needs replaced. It looks like a big oxygen tank. It's not working right. My water used to be soft and now it's constantly hard. I don't see anywhere to change a filter. I can tell the water is not running through the softener as the salt I put in it a month ago is still there. It seems as though it is back washing since I hear it click on and see water going down the drain. It seems as though it's not going through the water softener. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Also it is Well Water. Thank you, mikenice

Welcome MikeNice:
Ask your wife where the owner's manual is and go through it page by page and item by item. The filter surely must be a backwash flter also; we can't just 'never' change the filter unless it is washed.
There should be a timer/programer to set when you want the brine to backwash but there are so many brands and variations it would be difficult to describe it. The principle is the minerals collect on little beads and the brine washes the minerals off so you can strart over. We usually program that to happen at, maybe 3:00 am so that it doesn't disturb any useage of the water. A bag of salt pellets may last up to 90 days.
All I can say is check the owner's manual. Or try Google to find your brand and some information.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back