Need Help with Floor problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victormoreno23

Reaction score

Due to a small leak I needed to remove the subfloor under the toilet anda portion of the subfloor that runs along the bottom edge of the tub. Mybathroom is on the second floor of my condo. I have reinforced some of the joists and the old subfloor on the edge ofthe bathtub with horizontal joists (piece of wood between the new main verticaljoists and leveled them the same. The new subfloor goes on top of these horizontaljoists and can be screwed to them like the joists (screws on the edge of thetub, is that ok? (moisture)). I cut thenew subfloor and laid it down but on some sections along the tub the newsubfloor is not even with the old subfloor along the edge of the tub. Smallspaces exists because of the uneven rotten wood I removed along the bottom edgeof the tub. As a result on some sectionsyou can see the new horizontal joists that I installed underneath the oldsubfloor along the edge of the tub. What can I put between the spaces of thenew and old subfloor to make it even? (leveler type of cement, type of glue,type of rubber?)

Also, I plan to put a vinyl floor on top of the new subfloor. Once I screw down the new subfloor what typeof liquid or thin membrane can I use to help prevent future moisture from goinginto the new subfloor? Can you explainhow to install the membrane to the subfloor and then the vinyl floor?

Once all is installed what cocking is best to use for the edges of the new vinylfloor and bottom edge of the tub?

Thanks

Victor

Could you post a picture or 2 of what you're talking about? I'm having trouble visualizing it, and I definitely have no idea what a "horizontal joist" is.

Bridgeman: He cut the subfloor close to the tub and put a 2x4 under the edge to make the joint between old and new, as this joint is at least five feet long it should have a few 2x4 blocks from joist to joist under it to support it. I would sand or grind down the high spots and another 1/2" plywood Nice fit to tub and 1/4" gap to the walls.
Victor: never done it but you could look at redgard sealer, don't know how it would work with mastic. Then seal that edge with silicon

So the 2 x 4 "horizontal joists" are to be supported by blocking? Any joist, by definition, should be self-supporting over its length, and only supported at the end bearing points.

As mentioned previously, a few pix wouldn't hurt.

I call it a scab patch, the problem is most people don't put the blocking under them and the floor will flex there in no time.

No one mentioned the floor being level?
Running cats between the joists is for support and sisters for level.
The op running the 2x4 "as a like joist" for the but seam won't work if the tub needs to be risen
But yes cat the new 2x4.

Latest posts

Back