Best for repairing cracks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house92

Reaction score
What is the best product and method for repairing cracks on drywall before painting? I assume there is something easier than new drywall, tape, and sanding just for cracks.

Mostly, the cracks are flush with the wall.

Hopefully you have figured out what caused the cracks and have taken steps to solve any problems. Scrape out loose material, apply filler or filler and tape and yes a little sanding.

Where are the cracks? If they are original seams that cracked then maybe the first job wasn’t taped or done incorrectly in some ways. If it’s a full plaster house over lath or something these hairline cracks will always come back unless you tape mud and sand. If you have cracks in the drywall and they are not at the seams you have movement in the wall or ceiling and you have to fix that before fixing the crack.

We used to put up a heavy cardboard like wallpaper as long as the walls were even and level otherwise.

Would the old tape have to be removed? Is the mesh tape good, or just for certain projects?

I like the mesh tape better and for a beginner it will be more user friendly. I did a million cracks in the plaster of the old house we are redoing with the mesh tape. OK maybe not a million but maybe a few thousand anyway. It is self-sticking and the compound works in around it. The paper tape has to be buttered in with compound. Both have advantages. When you sand you will find the tape at some point and you will need to add another layer and feather that out. I think I get it perfect and when I prime I still find spots and go over them again with compound. The more time you spend the better it will look.

minor or hairline cracks don't usually need tape. just fill'em with joint compound and sand away the edges. If a seam has opened up, or you're repairing a hole or a leak, then you might need tape. The more you practice, the better you get.
But, yes, as others have mentioned - you probably want to figure out the cause of the cracks.

My experience is different than Slownsteady's with hairline cracks mainly in ceilings. In old plaster anytime I just filled them they always came back. Now that I'm thinking about it latex wall paint might be able to stretch. Ceiling paint flat is more chalky and that could be the reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Back