Layout tips for wood or laminate flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keitht

Reaction score
Could someone comment on the steps used to do a layout on a room for flooring installation?

keitht said:
Could someone comment on the steps used to do a layout on a room for flooring installation?

Do you mean hardwood, engineered hardwood?
There all different animals.
I can tell you laminate is the easiest to lay down and install, im more experienced in laminate then other hardwood.
You can lay any wood in any direction, if you lay it the longest way of the room(s) you will have less waste.
Real hardwood doesn't require spacing as it is nailed down as apposed to laminate you need 1/4 gap along the walls for expand and contract, nothing gets nailed or screwed down it is over a vapor barrier.

I highly recommend attending a class on the subject before you start.
My wife and I attended a free class at our Home Depot store and I was VERY glad I did.
We did it ourselves (floating laminate), it was our first time, and we did a fantastic job!
The main thing with the layout is to avoid ending up with really short or narrow pieces on the edges of the room.
Lay some boards out both directions to check before you start.
Also, be sure to stagger your joints well.

Yes indeed stagger your lines at least 12" apart,
Check every piece before installing for chip corners, there is a box that you will need that has spacers and a block to tap them in.... I have learned not to have to use the block but for beginners I recommend it and do not pound them in, lightly tap them in.

Back