Installing closet track rails on slab

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be fine. Use a masonry bit, hammer drill optional for this small amount of holes. Optionally, put down a bead of construction adhesive and set your track in the bead and let it set up.

There should be no pipes with in 2" of the top, plumbing is below the slap and slab heat is near the bottom of the slab. Are you screwing thru the floor, will that allow the floor to move?
The plastic anchors should work but you can also just shove some wood in the hole and screw to that.

There should be no pipes with in 2" of the top, plumbing is below the slap and slab heat is near the bottom of the slab. Are you screwing thru the floor, will that allow the floor to move?
The plastic anchors should work but you can also just shove some wood in the hole and screw to that.

Screwing thru floor (floating floor type) so probably no movement.

Those floors do move, It might have been better to leave the track and floor to it, but it is something I have no experience with.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZNEEPaIPng[/ame]

I've used construction adhesive, then layed bricks on the track until the glue was dry. It has always worked for me.

Neal makes an excellent point. Many laminate floors require a 1/4" - 3/4" gap at the walls to allow for organic movement due to moisture. If you slam the laminate up against the track, you could get a bad outcome if the floor expands and pops the screws.

Neal's video is allowing 5/16" for expansion but you might want a more generous transition strip for an overlay. Remember, the overlay gap is between the laminate flooring strip and the screw holding the transition strip into the slab.

I've used construction adhesive, then layed bricks on the track until the glue was dry. It has always worked for me.

Good idea. I already used anchor screws. In the future, adhesive will do. I was in rush and not thinking straight.

Back