Attic Office

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeeman2000

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Thinking of converting a part of my attic into an office. I've got plenty of diy home improvement projects under my belt. However, nothing that dealt with roofs/attics.

I've attached pics and a doodle of the area I want to convert. It's about a 5th of my entire attic. Will not modify or do anything anywhere else.

Here's my plan. Cut the red trusses, add what is in green, and ad some leveled beams where the blue is.

Thoughts? Thanks everybody!

attic.jpg

atticdoodle.jpg

outside.jpg

Welcome to the site.
Anything is possible. Some things to look at before you get going. Ceiling joists do not equal floor joists. Floor joists and knee walls have to land on something that is bearing or transfers the load to a bearing point or wall. Same is true for framing around stair case.
Sometimes this kind of work requires work all the way to the basement and may include digging into the basement floor to add new footing.
Most of the time with best plans with all the detail, the permit dept. will look mostly at the load calculation and the bearing and simply require an engineer to be responsible for that portion of the job.

nope, 2x4 ceiling joists wont hold the load

get a storage shed,insulate, use osb to cover,electric, ac

mine is my reload room/shop , yours can be an office

7b1c52c1-06c6-47f6-89f3-da50cb09f6c3_300.jpg

DSCN0006.JPG

DSCN0007.JPG

P8150072.JPG

Last edited:
Back