How can I direct melting snow away from my landing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYoungMan143

Reaction score
I'm not sure what topic this would go under, since I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done.

As you can see in the picture, my roof forms a 90 degree angle right over the top step of my front door. Last year, melting snow made huge icicles and frequent puddles on the step, which then froze into a mini-mountain of ice.

I'd like to direct the melting snow away from the step. If I could, I'd just extend the roof so it's not right over the step, but I obviously can't do that. Any suggestions on ways to direct melting snow away from the step?

1q1TTKfy.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what topic this would go under, since I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done.

As you can see in the picture, my roof forms a 90 degree angle right over the top step of my front door. Last year, melting snow made huge icicles and frequent puddles on the step, which then froze into a mini-mountain of ice.

I'd like to direct the melting snow away from the step. If I could, I'd just extend the roof so it's not right over the step, but I obviously can't do that. Any suggestions on ways to direct melting snow away from the step?

Q7hNM9cvHoBBeRjo4h-7ADS5GQVddI3xLl81Ss1n030L-tEilz1Fwkm8JBGgGqc7GvrXdGQKSFPbRmd-mKFVZKGMFdVuLAJ6I296P8PzYQ6yvO5wk7tEahClvJEODU1SML5chqnLbGbNVkrwQVOk119NI-___LkQQZI69vGVBpY-OcnHRgbEQ7-ibDpCpMGhTam6JUW0dKg0uQzZnnAawDADzbhNWSFatV0C_NynPGpFSu9OhEMEJY5fd-mrGO6LHf50Nqq9gBH4CP6ldvfwx4T_Sq-e2Hlbp2jZ7CxfSebCCbsUJwGgtWPxXBFFCFaO9-MNB5WXCJxchfNubm75qLNfel2oJ69zcTR_nzP-sGVB9NuJ4tJT8_XRsTcn1z0AdJbJY88tB8YPMLYGT2mEtJqE5DR5LUh_156HF3dSb0n5tj-uY10uLtzuBGIjm-6FnV0nRXGB7qgVU4pFbjDmB4L4fLT3NDJ49QHa4hZza7pCwZ1NMolvRRAt3HVNp9ugZV8wTe_DFTYLDEQjXemZ0Af_uQS9HXo5PFg2yg5ekA1i=w513-h911-no

Thanks!

Is it just me or is the photo not coming up.

Q7hNM9cvHoBBeRjo4h-7ADS5GQVddI3xLl81Ss1n030L-tEilz1Fwkm8JBGgGqc7GvrXdGQKSFPbRmd-mKFVZKGMFdVuLAJ6I296P8PzYQ6yvO5wk7tEahClvJEODU1SML5chqnLbGbNVkrwQVOk119NI-___LkQQZI69vGVBpY-OcnHRgbEQ7-ibDpCpMGhTam6JUW0dKg0uQzZnnAawDADzbhNWSFatV0C_NynPGpFSu9OhEMEJY5fd-mrGO6LHf50Nqq9gBH4CP6ldvfwx4T_Sq-e2Hlbp2jZ7CxfSebCCbsUJwGgtWPxXBFFCFaO9-MNB5WXCJxchfNubm75qLNfel2oJ69zcTR_nzP-sGVB9NuJ4tJT8_XRsTcn1z0AdJbJY88tB8YPMLYGT2mEtJqE5DR5LUh_156HF3dSb0n5tj-uY10uLtzuBGIjm-6FnV0nRXGB7qgVU4pFbjDmB4L4fLT3NDJ49QHa4hZza7pCwZ1NMolvRRAt3HVNp9ugZV8wTe_DFTYLDEQjXemZ0Af_uQS9HXo5PFg2yg5ekA1i=w513-h911-no

Thanks!

There are any number of valley diverters available that can be installed, just pick your poison.

I can’t see the photo, but I have a tin roof on my front porch that had no gutters and snow melt and water ran right on the steps and landing leaving ice in the winter and slippery surfaces the rest of the year. I attached one 8’ section of gutter over the steps with no ends and no downspouts. Water goes out one end or the other or both and it solved the problem.

Sorry everyone! I've fixed the link (I think). I know it's sideways...

But anyway, thanks for the advice! I've Googled "Roof Valley Diverters" and found some stuff, but I'm just not sure which will help the situation. They seem to be designed to divert the flow of water, and I'd really like something that literally extends the roof edge. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Sorry everyone! I've fixed the link (I think). I know it's sideways...

But anyway, thanks for the advice! I've Googled "Roof Valley Diverters" and found some stuff, but I'm just not sure which will help the situation. They seem to be designed to divert the flow of water, and I'd really like something that literally extends the roof edge. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

I would speculate, now, that a valley diverter will not assist you unless you also add a downspout at the right end, because apparently the gutters are being overcome by their inability to vacate the volume.

Be very careful in contemplating extending the roof, so as to avoid an architectural nightmare.

It won't be cheap.

Last edited:
I agree it looks like the original roof line wasn’t thought out too well. From a functional as well as esthetic perspective. The overhang should have been deeper to the width of the door or better the landing.

Maybe you could build or have built some decorative iron work that would fit kind of like I outlined in the picture. It could be covered or could have clear panels and a little shed roof panel made to extend over and under the existing overhang. It would also block the wind at the entry door.

1q1TTKfy.jpg

Thanks so much for the information, you've given me lots to look into. I'll let you know what I come up with (if I come up with something before it snows!)

Thanks again!

Perhaps a heated roof wire to allow the snow to quickly melt.
Larger gutters.
Gutter diverter.

If you build I light weight support like Bud drew up you could get a sheet metal shop to make what would be a big flashing with two edges turned up to slide behind the gutter to devert the water to the side.

Latest posts

Back