sewer line break

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreckenball

Reaction score
does anyone know if I need a permit in the City of Seattle to fix a break in my sewer line right after the clean out

If a tree falls in the forest, does it need a permit? :D
Fix it properly after getting solid guidance. Fill the hole and move on!

plumbing-pipes-497943.jpg

If a tree falls it doesn’t need a permit. But none the less once it falls I’m sure it’s in violation of at least a dozen code and law violations. Then they come back punish the innocent.

So much in the world now a days is about perception. The new “old” house we just bought has a tree in the front yard about 10 feet from the foundation wall. I’m sure it was a cute little pine tree when planted in the 1950’s but now it’s about 70 feet tall and about a $2000 project to get it down being its between the two roads on the corner and the house plus power lines. I called the power company and told them the service to the house runs thru the tree and would they take it down. They sent out a forestry guy and his report was the tree is healthy and just needs trimmed and it’s the owners problem but they will do the limb removal. Here is where the perception comes in I said thanks for the report and I will keep it on file in case the healthy tree does fall across the main line across the street. All of a sudden the perception has changed and as unlikely as it is the tree will fall this guy just recommended that it wouldn’t fall, and when it does here is this homeowner with a report with his name saying it wouldn’t. Now how’s that going to look. So he says if you can wait until a crew is back in the area maybe they should take it down to play it safe. I told him well it’s your call you are the expert not me. So the tree is coming down soon and I’m not paying or assuming the risk of doing the job or paying someone else to assume the risk for me.

So to the OP. I would give the opposite advice and error on the side of caution and go ask about a permit. They will most likely say no and now you are on the record as asking. Someone comes along and try’s to tell you different you are in the clear. Who knows they might just send someone out to do the job as its to their benefit to get it done right. Or they may have advice on how to best do it and with the correct materials etc.

Yeah, the electrified rail of construction talk is to wave off a permit. Sorry, I spoke truth where the regulations do not encourage truth. Truth is a competent craftsman/homeowner can do a lot of stuff that does not necessitate permits, fees or long delays waiting for inspectors. That "truth" is at the heart of the DIY mentality.

In some jurisdictions, a permit is required to change out a light switch (like for like). Really. Same goes for GFCI's. Same goes for a lot of common repairs.

I bow to those who say "always get a permit." They are citing code. However, since we know how to do these tasks on our own homes, we also know those permits are hardly ever obtained.

Let the hate begin ..... :p

Let the hate begin .....:rolleyes:

To fix; 1 As long as I can't see it anymore
2 As long as the neighbour can't see it anymore
3 As long as the wife can't see it anymore
4 Like the mailman said to do it
5 Like the kid at HD said to do it
6 Like a bunch of guys on some website said to do it
7 I think this will work
8 Any or all the above as long as it passes inspection

Keep in mind on new construction, the line is plugged to perform a pressure test and in some citys the pressure test has to be redone after a repair.

In almost all ways I agree with Villa, except in the reality we live in today. I grew up my dad bought a lot and dug a hole poured a footer and laid a block basement with a deck and tarpaper roof and we lived it it during the rest of the house build. Never a permit or a care from anyone and he was spending his own money and everyone seemed to know what they were doing. It was the American dream and what people did in a free country. Lawnmowers didn’t have guards nor did the Sears DIY table saw kit you mounted to the bottom of a sheet of plywood and some saw horses. People cut off fingers and houses fell down. Not all people or all houses but some of them did. We gave away the freedom for the rules trying to protect all us.

Everyone should know their own abilities and stay within them. When it comes to advice giving it’s hard to know another’s abilities. Just someone asking the question sometimes makes it for me feel they are not sure. For me it’s a case of always error on the side of caution when in doubt.

I also think we lost a lot more along the way as people gave up trying on their own and finding out what they can do. But that’s the world we are in now and I will still feel I’m doing it my way and most times I still do it my way but advice for me has to be given error to caution.

Back