How to curve deck skirt?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazman

Reaction score
Greetings!
Just tore down an old deck and rebuilt it. I want to skirt it to keep debris and critters out. 18" from grade to deck surface. The previous builder did not line up the piers so I can't run the skirt horizontally as there is nothing to attach to. I picked up some T&T 1x6 RW and will do a vertical skirt. Now the fun part. My wife wants me to curve one of the front corners so it follows the line of the planter just in front if the deck. It's a fairly tight radius - 32" or so. I have not cut any of the joists yet. I was thinking of scribing and cutting the joists and deck boards. Then I was thinking about some of the Trex or = facia to close in the rim joist section so I have something to attach the skirt to. Other suggestions gladly accepted! To curve the skirt I was hoping I could cut a bunch of grooves in the back of the 1x6 T&G and bend it around and attach to the curved rim joist. Am I close or asking for a headache?

Thanks!
Randy

Thanks Neal! I see slotting with the grain is risky as well which is the direction I need to go. Hmmm I'll have some experimenting to do.

I made a curved front porch. I had some Composite fencing pickets laying around and used them for skirting. At only 1/2" thick they were pretty flexible but it should be warm outside or at least have them sitting in sun. Its been 2 years and it still looks perfect.

Back