sewer pump to septic tank

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
Out building to low for gravity feed to tie into line from house to septic tank.
Do you worry about the pump disrupting the working of the septic tank.
The lift will be in inches maybe 24, the distance is about 30 ft, would it be better to change to 4" pipe long before you get to the main line.

if using the correct sewage pump. then a 2'' line from pump to pit is all you need

pump into pit, let the bugs do their jobs, then it will gravity drain to field line

i am assuming out building is not a primary fixture just a 1x a week thing

My grinder pump uses a 2” pipe but mine doesn’t go to a septic tank I just discharge uphill to city sewer line. I don’t know if liquefying the waste would cause more particles to move past the baffles in the tank and plug a leach field. Would depend a lot on how your tank was built I would think.

We put something similar in at my mother’s many years ago called a lift station and we added its own tank. Also my nephews house we built had a lift station and had two tanks first a septic tank and then the dosing tank with the pump.

In your case if the out building had a full bathroom I would look at a small plastic septic tank setup and then run to the house tank or straight to the leach field.

The will be a sewer pump not a grinder 2" pipe.
The last 20 ft will be gravity feed 4" before it ties to main line. Still 15 ft to the tank.

Should be ok. Lots of people have basement toilets with a sump and a lift pump to get it out to the tank and they seem to work ok.

It sounded better when I talked to him, when I talked to her it was a grinder joining the main line at the tank.;)

you need a grinder pump not a sewage pump if you are dealing with solids and paper.

sewage pump is designed to pump the effluent after it has broken down into small particles [liquid]

grinder pump will break it down then pump it. [solids]

you need a grinder pump not a sewage pump if you are dealing with solids and paper.

sewage pump is designed to pump the effluent after it has broken down into small particles [liquid]

grinder pump will break it down then pump it. [solids]

Thank you I will get that to them, right away.

That’s kind of what I was saying about having a small tank for the out building. The pump is a lot cheaper than a grinder if I remember correct. you need a sump anyway just dig a bigger hole and put a 500 gallon septic tank in.

That’s kind of what I was saying about having a small tank for the out building. The pump is a lot cheaper than a grinder if I remember correct. you need a sump anyway just dig a bigger hole and put a 500 gallon septic tank in.

That might be the better idea, they may not need a pump to the field as it closer to the outbuilding.

I also suggested a new tank to service both building but as usual the budget and time line will be a big consideration.

For those who think we have to many regulations and inspectors want to be in this ladies shoes.

She bought the house about 5 years ago, subject to inspections and her realtor suggested the inspectors.

So up here the people that work on septic systems certify there own work.
The guy that inspected the septic system was something else.
He first wrote a failing report with the health dept. No one reads that unless some one want to to put a mortgage on the property.
Then he went to the 2 elderly women that were selling the house for the estate.
He told them that the buyer want to have the field re-done and move the septic tank out to the carport.
The buyer knew nothing about this until she went to sign final papers and get the keys.
It was assumed at that time that the sellers had ordered the work and would pay for it.
Two weeks later she got her confidential report along with the bill.

She had friends in the business that offered to come in to inspect his work, they found the septic tank still in the carport, the out feed fitting was two different pipe types, joined with a garbage bag and duck tape.
The perk test was to fast so it might effect the local well water, needed to be raised with a pump to feed it.
One arm of the field was 10 ft to close to the well.

Law suits were well under way but the sellers had money being held until this was settled, they decided to pay him.
So all this work still needs to be done.
I will take permits and inspection over this anytime.

this is why i am such an advocate for licenses, to many jack leg wannabees ripping people off

this is why i am such an advocate for licenses, to many jack leg wannabees ripping people off

These people are licensed and ticketed and belong to an organization like lawyers and the bar. We know how that works.

Back