Leak near hose bibb

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always pot a 2 way splitter between the hose and pipe and open the one side when not in use, the hose is fine, the splitters break if they freeze $3.

I have frost free, but always unhook my water hose and put a 1.50 styrofoam cover on it. So far so good .

One thing to keep in mind with removing the hose. Many people use these fitting things that you screw on to the bib and the other end the hose and then you can snap the hoses on and off quickly like an air fitting on your compressor. They really work nice, BUT the part that goes on the bib some of them have a check valve inside. You have to remove that quick connect also for the winter.

Don’t ask me how I know this. :mad:

Anybody can do it right, experience come from fixing mistakes.
Makes you wonder about people with years of experience.

their is a warehouse somewhere,,,full, gotta kick the door closed full

with my plumbing mistakes...each one was a learning experience

The other challenge with freeze proofs besides leaving the garden hose on over winter is if it is installed sloping into the house. It can't drain and it will freeze and split.

The other challenge with freeze proofs besides leaving the garden hose on over winter is if it is installed sloping into the house. It can't drain and it will freeze and split.

That's a DIY trick on tapered siding like Hardie.:hide:

Back