Water Shutoff Valves

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now, I am getting things fine-tuned in the bathroom.

Main problem was a leak around the stem of the hot water faucet.

Being very careful, I was able to get the shutoff valve to that one closed, and get the problem corrected.

I think that I will need to turn off the hot and cold water master shutoffs, and find out what I have done wrong that out of 5 of the shutoffs, 2 in the kitchen, and one to the water closet, no problems, and they work great, but the two shutoffs under the bathroom sink have had so many problems.

I'm sure that I will determine what the problem under the bathroom sink is, and get it corrected.

Thanks for all the great replies, everyone.

Below is a photo of one of the two shutoff valves that I have been telling all of you about.

26797258685_d159dccce7.jpg

Your picture is missing the rubber washer on the end.

FH02OCT_WAVALE_02.JPG

i am not understanding the whole condo assocation thing.

if it is a condo, you own it, of you own it. any damn one you want to work on it can, if the condo assoc. wants you to use a certain person, they are welcome to pay the difference between who you pick and who they want.

just my opinion

First, ball valves are for the main incoming line as well as for valves under sinks and below toilets. The ones for under a sink are usually chrome finish. They are typically labelled "1/4 turn ball valves" and are available in straight configuration (where the supply line comes into the cabinet floor) and angle (where the supply line comes into the cabinet back). They are also available as "shark bite" which is a brand name so no soldering or threading is required. You simply turn off the main, open a faucet high in your house and open a faucet low in your house (doing both drains the water from the pipes), cut the pipe, and push the new valve on. If you have angle valves, this is an easy job to do. If you have straight valves it is a little more difficult since you need some play in one or both pipes to get the new valve on.

Your picture is missing the rubber washer on the end.

Thanks for the post, nealtw. That photo you attatched is very helpful to me.

Yes, you are right. The valve I took the photo of, is missing the washer on the end.

It has been so long since I have worked with those shutoff valves, I can't remember if the washer on the end was held in place by a screw or not.

When I next work on those 2 shutoff valves under the bathroom sink, I will give everything a good look, and take some more photos, and find out just what I did, or didn't do, that caused the problem.

Latest posts

Back