Help Planning security camera placement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

try2diy

Reaction score
I want to put up security cameras, and would like to run the wires in the attic space.

In the front of the house is a soffit but not on the back of the house.

Has anyone installed cameras on the soffit via the attic and can offer advice or directions to same?

Been there many times. By soffit, do you mean it has a fascia and the rafter tails are covered? You can easily drill through the fascia and feed the cable into the attic. Attach the camera directly to the fascia (depending on the weather issues you might have such as falling snow loads). I hope your cameras have infra-red ability to see at night. That is the only way to go. I recommend taping the connectors to reduce weather damage or moisture intrusion.

Most camera sets can handle 120 feet of cable. That should allow you to reach most places in the house. I recommend using conduit if you are undergrounding in the yard. (photo is a recent installation we did)

CAMERA 1.jpg

That camera in the photo is kinda low; not sure why it would be done so. :rofl:

In moving around my attic, what to you recommend to prevent falling thru the ceiling? planks of a certain size? how do you move about an attic.? I would have to gt all the way over to the othereside, and am trying to think if the easiest way...

Kneepads on the joists for an infrequent visit. If you need to go up there often, a couple 2" x 6"s side by side work great.

it depends somewhat on how big you are and how far apart the joists are. With joists 16"OC, I can move around on a 3/4" plywood board. two boards work well as you can reposition one while resting on the other.

Couple chunks of plywood if you have to get down close to the soffet, often you have to laydown

"Has anyone installed cameras on the soffit via the attic and can offer advice or directions to same?"

Not sure what info you are looking for.
Drill a hole, run Cat5 from the camera to the router/switch. A POE switch or distribution box is a good idea if you will be using several POE cameras.

Back