approx cost to go from gas heat to elec heat?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merk

Reaction score
EDIT: i just reposted this in the HVAC subforum since i think it's more appropriate there. Could someone delete this thread? Thanks

Living in the San Fran/Bay area, so winters are not harsh here. Low 40's would be the typical low end for winter nights.

I was just wondering what the ball park figure out would be to go from gas heat to electric heat. I'm talking installation cost, not the actual cost of running the system.

2 reasons i'm considering this:

1. we currently have a single gas heater in the hallway/living room. Which means if you don't sleep with your bedroom door open, you get no heat. We often close the bedrooms doors when we leave to keep the dog out which means the bedrooms get pretty cold and take a while to warm up.

2. considering getting solar panels installed and i want to make sure we get the most benefit from them. If we did get solar installed, in the long run I think it makes sense to move from gas to electric.

I'm guessing the cheapest option would be to replace the current wall gas heater with an elec one, but that doesn't do anything to help with issue #1 above. So ideally some sort of system that heats the rooms individually since that way doors open or closed makes no difference and we can just heat the bedrooms at night and not the whole house.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with how much something like this would cost to install. House is 1100 sq ft and bedrooms have no insulation in the walls. We do though have new energy efficient windows in the whole house.

Last edited:
EDIT: i just reposted this in the HVAC subforum since i think it's more appropriate there. Could someone delete this thread? Thanks

Living in the San Fran/Bay area, so winters are not harsh here. Low 40's would be the typical low end for winter nights.

I was just wondering what the ball park figure out would be to go from gas heat to electric heat. I'm talking installation cost, not the actual cost of running the system.

2 reasons i'm considering this:

1. we currently have a single gas heater in the hallway/living room. Which means if you don't sleep with your bedroom door open, you get no heat. We often close the bedrooms doors when we leave to keep the dog out which means the bedrooms get pretty cold and take a while to warm up.

2. considering getting solar panels installed and i want to make sure we get the most benefit from them. If we did get solar installed, in the long run I think it makes sense to move from gas to electric.

I'm guessing the cheapest option would be to replace the current wall gas heater with an elec one, but that doesn't do anything to help with issue #1 above. So ideally some sort of system that heats the rooms individually since that way doors open or closed makes no difference and we can just heat the bedrooms at night and not the whole house.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with how much something like this would cost to install. House is 1100 sq ft and bedrooms have no insulation in the walls. We do though have new energy efficient windows in the whole house.

What you probably now have is the MONTEREY, which can easily changed to a FORSAIRE COUNTERFLOW model and will speed the heat distribution; http://www.williamscomfortprod.com/product-category/heating-solutions/

However, back to your question. Do your homework, and remember, solar panels age and deteriorate over time and replacing them isn't cheap.

Back