Light goes out when opening garage door.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanS

Reaction score
Hi, i installed a sodium floodlight high up on my garage several years ago, maybe 5. 2 years ago i had a new garage door opener installed. Both have been working perfectly. One has nothing to do with the other. Now, when i press the door opener, the light will go out and I don't know why. This is new. Does anybody know what is happening?

I will check, but I don't see why that would make the light on the front of the garage go out.

I would bet that they are on the same circuit so the wire goes to one box and then the next.

Just a shot in the dark.;)

Allright, a project for my saturday i guess. Thank you I will post my results

Hi, i installed a sodium floodlight high up on my garage several years ago, maybe 5. 2 years ago i had a new garage door opener installed. Both have been working perfectly. One has nothing to do with the other. Now, when i press the door opener, the light will go out and I don't know why. This is new. Does anybody know what is happening?

When the light extinguishes, how long does it stay off and when it comes back on is the ignition instant or a slow brightening to full illumination?

The light comes right back on, but slowly brightens to full illumination. Takes a couple minutes. It is a light that comes on auto when it gets dark.

The light comes right back on, but slowly brightens to full illumination. Takes a couple minutes. It is a light that comes on auto when it gets dark.

Thanks.

There are 2 possible causes; If you are comfortable working inside the fixture, eliminate the photo cell and the fixture will be constantly on.

Try the door and if the symptom remains you have a weak ignition transformer in the fixture, which you may find is near or exceeds the cost of a new fixture, your money.

If eliminating the photo cell is the cure, it's about a $7 fix.

I will look into this tomorrow, thank you so much. A new fixture is around $40 i think and would probably be easiest for me.

Sometimes you can pull a PDF up and check the parts prices, and I agree, time is money.

Possibly a bad bulb, and the vibration of the garage door opener is enough to make it go out.
Might have to attach a volt meter to the fixture wires while simutaneously operating the door opener and see what's going on.

Maybe just a loose bulb in the socket. See if it will turn clockwise a little and snug it down.

Back