3-way switch question - adding always on outlet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aburt

Reaction score
Is it okay to use both the push-in and screw connectors on a 3-way switch to feed power to an always-on outlet?

Here's why I ask. This is similar to how it was wired before:

I'm replacing a dead 3way switch (which is part of a 4way switch system for a hallway), and this particular 3way has four wires (plus the ground). There is a bedroom that is on the same circuit, and draws it's always-on wall outlets and overhead switched light (independent of the hall switches) from this 3way switch.

The reason I know this is that when I opened it up, and saw four wires, I didn't notice it was a 3way switch, so I put in a 4way switch. The hall lights operate as expected -- but the bedroom gets no power at all. :) I looked more closely, and realized the old switch was in fact a 3way.

It's an old Leviton push-in type of switch, with four holes you can push wires into (and three screw type terminals). The two connectors on one side are both labeled "common". (And the screw-less, push-in-only connector is one of these.) I also tested with a multimeter to verify there's continuity between both "common"-labeled terminals.

I haven't seen this usage before with the four wires. Question #1, am I right in concluding that the two common terminals are essentially the same as if they were spliced together?

On the new Leviton 3way switch I bought, there are only three push-in connectors and three screw terminals next to each. So, question #2: Would it be reasonable to push in one of the common wires, and screw in the second?

Thanks!

I wouldn’t use the push in connectors I never use them. It is not allowed to stack two wires under one screw. So that leaves the method I would use and that would be to pig tail from the hot pair to the first switch and also the outlet circuit and wirenut the pig tails in the back of the box. If the switch ever goes bad the outlet won’t be involved and changing the switch next time will be less confusing.

Back