New water line

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyrTwister

Reaction score
Apparently , I have a water leak , some where between the water meter ( in the alley ) to the house .

The existing line is copper , in fact , all the water piping inside the house is copper , too . I will probably install the new line to the house in PVC .

Where would I purchase the new " slip nut fitting " that attaches to the " house side " of the water meter ? The existing fitting looks to be brass / copper with the copper water line soldered to it . It unscrews like 1/2 of a union .

Or , if there are no holes in that piece of the copper pipe , do I just adapt from copper to PVC ?

I plan to keep the interior piping in copper

Thanks ,
Wyr
God Bless

reuse the old one, ebay,supply house, amazon

called a water meter nipple

Last edited:
Apparently , I have a water leak , some where between the water meter ( in the alley ) to the house .

The existing line is copper , in fact , all the water piping inside the house is copper , too . I will probably install the new line to the house in PVC .

Where would I purchase the new " slip nut fitting " that attaches to the " house side " of the water meter ? The existing fitting looks to be brass / copper with the copper water line soldered to it . It unscrews like 1/2 of a union .

Or , if there are no holes in that piece of the copper pipe , do I just adapt from copper to PVC ?

I plan to keep the interior piping in copper

Thanks ,
Wyr
God Bless

There are fittings for the meter connection.

When I do this type of upgrade, I use schedule 80pvc.

Next, if the water system is also the ground for the electrical service, I drive another ground rod a min. of 7' distance from the existing.

If the service is only grounded to the water system, I install 2 driven ground rods.

I could drive a second ground rod , no problem .

I could use Schedule 80 PVC . I have used Schedule 80 PVC conduit . But it is the same OD as Schedule 40 , if I recall . Meaning the ID is smaller .

The existing copper line is 3/4" copper & I have plenty of water pressure . If I used schedule 80 PVC , would I need to go to 1" to get equal or greater ID , compared to 3/4 Schedule 40 ?

I mostly rested Sunday . Did some reading about PEX and watched some YouTube videos . I might consider using PEX . Opinions ?

God bless
Wyr

Last edited:
is the copper piping in your house under ground ? looped from fixture to fixture?

if the piping is underground, their is no need for a ground rod, the piping is already under ground/grounded.

sch 80 is over kill, your house, your choice, nothing wrong with more than the minimum

1'' sch 40 pvc from the meter to the house is plenty sufficient.
you are correct the id is smaller with sch 80, , so it is also with pex

I am personally a hater of sch 80. 90% of the repairs I do in parking lots are from a sch 80 fitting leaking.

Sch 40 is fine and I use grey glue not red hot with primer.

The valve on your side of the meter (if you have one) is called a customer service valve. Any supply house will have the valve or any parts to connect to it.

...you are correct the id is smaller with sch 80, , so it is also with pex

...hmmpf...

I did not know that... :confused:

So there would be no advantage of saying plumbing a water filter system with SCH 80 over SCH 40 PVC?

Still learning... ;)

is the copper piping in your house under ground ? looped from fixture to fixture?

if the piping is underground, their is no need for a ground rod, the piping is already under ground/grounded.

sch 80 is over kill, your house, your choice, nothing wrong with more than the minimum

1'' sch 40 pvc from the meter to the house is plenty sufficient.
you are correct the id is smaller with sch 80, , so it is also with pex

Pier and beam construction . When I get through , little , if any of the copper water pipe ( under the house ) will be underground . I re-piped the hot water last winter . In the process of re-piping the cold water

I re-built my electrical service last summer form 60 amp to 200 amp . Installed ground rod . Old service had none . Passed inspection & the power company hooked it up .

I have an existing 3/4 " copper water line . Will go back with 3/4" or 1" .

God bless
Wyr

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back