Vinyl wood floor planks or sheet/roll?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnv713

Reaction score
I'm ripping up my laminate wood floor because my dogs think the floor is pee pee central. Over the years urine soaked into the wood and it's impossible to get rid of the smell no matter how hard I tried.

Anyone here use the vinyl sheet/ roll that Looks like wood floor? How do they look once installed? Should I just go with the vinyl planks instead?

TIA

That's what I'm thinking too. Also curious about aesthetic of the sheet vs planks.

It'll take ten minutes of your time to walk through HD and look at a few samples. Only you can decide if the look is right for you. But in general, I see the planks as having more texture than the sheets. So grain looks a little more convincing on the planks. That's not to say that you'll be fooled into thinking it's wood.

I went to HD earlier but their selection was dismal. Do you know what kind of sealer I'd need on the seams?

You're talking about a product like this?

I bought these self stick vinyl planks at Lowes 5 years ago. The biggest complaint I had was that they didn't adhere as well as I thought they should. The corners tend to come up here and there. I had previously used Armstrong brand self stick vinyl tiles in the kitchen, with the exact same subfloor prep and never had that problem with them. Maybe it was just the brand of planks I used didn't have a good adhesive on them. I would certainly think any moisture left to soak on them would make the problem worse.

In your case with wanting to keep the pee from getting to the subfloor I would have to think sheet vinyl would be a better choice.

My nephew put down a very high end plank material and said he would never use it again. In his house anyplace light came in and hit it warming it up and it expanded and other areas stayed cool and the seams opened up and don’t go back. he has taken it up twice and laid it again but it wont stay. I don’t think his had any glue or was supposed to be glued.

That’s the only input I have except I have put down laminate back in the old days before it snapped together and was glued. That method was very waterproof. I don’t see any reason the click together stuff couldn’t be glued it would be much simpler than the old T&G I glued.

the click-together stuff is designed to be a floating floor. Not sure what would happen if you glue it. The self-stick planks need to rolled with a 300-lb roller (I think it's 300, but I can't recall it as fact) in order to stick, but there are many complaints on the web about them not sticking.

the click-together stuff is designed to be a floating floor. Not sure what would happen if you glue it. The self-stick planks need to rolled with a 300-lb roller (I think it's 300, but I can't recall it as fact) in order to stick, but there are many complaints on the web about them not sticking.

You dont glue the floor to the sub floor as it is flaoting, you glue the T&G together making it a true floating floor. under it you have a thin pad.

Ceramic, wood looking plank would be my recommendation. That stuff is bulletproof... almost.

I Saw that at HD last night. Looks pretty nice but pricier though. Probably cost me about 4k to do the whole house.

Most of the ceramic plank runs about ~$2.00 a foot. Yeah, you need some thinset and grout, but the last vinyl plank job cost me about ~$4.00 a foot, so when you calculate everything, it is all about the same price.

I have replaced my Vinyl Wood floor with Marble last month .They were actually looking dull after using it more than ten years.Maintaining marble sarasota is easy and time savvy .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back