Is this sink fixable?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eheinz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I work at an office in New York City, and we have a very old sink that had its faucet fixture replaced a while back by some people who were very incompetent (read: scammers).

Anyway, the faucet is loose, in this way:
GNCe2ud.jpg

We've had someone else stop by who said he might be able to find a part to secure the faucet, but he wasn't able to find the part and suggested replacing the faucet entirely, which would be fine, except I know nothing about the specifications I need to replace it.

The water works just fine, it's just the fixture is loose and sort of hard to handle and use as a result.

Any insights would be much appreciated!

Looks like a simple kitchen faucet. The main thing you need to know is the distance between the holes. They are most all the same but you want to be sure so you new will fit.

all you need to do, crawl under the sink and tighten up the nut.

if the nut or washer is missing get another one

someone needs to go to a plumbing supply
take a picture of underneath to show them

or us!!!!!!!!!

pp-kitchen-faucet-repairparts-marielle26.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, this is already extremely helpful!

Here are some photos I had taken under the sink:

AmMJOkN.jpg

98sfUhJ.jpg

mUm9Pbs.jpg

I don't know if this is helpful..?

It may be as simple as just getting the correct fittings to attach the threaded pipe on the faucet to the underside of that escutcheon plate. You could have other issues because that existing plate and sink looks like an antique but it's probably because whoever installed that new one didn't want to, or couldn't, secure it properly.
Here's a good video that shows the fittings and tool you need to secure it. Note the bracket and nut.

http://www.deltafaucet.com/inspiredliving/videos/how-replace-kitchen-faucet

In your first phot we can see 2 new flexable pipes going up in the center, we need a picture of where they go up.

we need a pictur of this, from the underside

that means, you gotta clear the stuff out of the way, get on you back

and get under the sink, look up at the faucet.

yu will earn your :beer: JR Plumber smiley face :trophy:

GNCe2ud.jpg

Last edited:
The beauty of the iPhone is you don’t need to stick your head back there to get a look. Just reach all the way back point it up with flash on and take about 20 shots one of them will show the nut dangling from the bottom.
My guess is because of that bump up they couldn’t get up in there to tighten it up so they put it hand tight or not at all.

Thank you guys for being so incredibly helpful and supportive! :beer:

Hopefully, this is what you need to see. I think I'm starting to see what the issue is here, but I'm not entirely sure.

First off, here's a close-up of the faucet head:
iMxNqFu.jpg

And then, here's the best I could get of under the sink:
xNDc15F.jpg

EvBGsy8.jpg

Let me know if I need to move a little to the right, or whatever. But I believe this is what you need to see?

you need one of these..i believe a moen part will fit it

look, around on the bottom of cabinet, it could not have gone far?????

thNSS2V4HNasdasdasdasd.jpg

xNDc15F.jpg

Last edited:
All right, so I dug around under the sink and managed to find this:

tG0Mn0E.jpg

I realize this isn't the part I'm missing, but what's confusing/hilarious to me is this bolt that... still has a nut on it...? I'm wondering if this is the bolt that secures the missing washer that you guys have indicated. How the washer may have fallen off and then the nut was returned is a little strange, but - this office has been around for quite a long time, who knows what has happened in its history.

Okay, so. If I can't find the part around here, is there any chance of me finding a replacement?

Thanks so much again everyone!

That looks like the whole deal to me. That U shaped thing fits up in there and the bolt goes thru it and into the tapped hole you see in the one photo you took.

That looks like the whole deal to me. That U shaped thing fits up in there and the bolt goes thru it and into the tapped hole you see in the one photo you took.

Ah-ha! I was sort of wondering if that might be the case. That's excellent! I'm going to attempt to fix it and see what happens - I'll keep you all posted.

I don’t think they forgot to tighten it I think they couldn’t tighten it up in that spot.

Get another nut and lock the two nuts together at the right place on the bolt. Then you can tighten it down by the longer bolt.

that right there. is why i have a socket set from Craf----man that is hollow in the middle

max2.jpg

Hey all,

Here's what I've done so far:

ftakrYh.jpg

It definitely helped the situation - the faucet isn't coming out of the entire sink now. Still a bit loose, though; the faucet still swivels when you turn it on/off. I'm thinking I will need to get another nut, maybe?

Unless you have a wrench that will fit up in that crack that’s the best way to go. looks like a 5/16-18 or a 3/8-16 nut. Ask the maintenance man for the building he should have one.

Unless you have a wrench that will fit up in that crack that’s the best way to go. looks like a 5/16-18 or a 3/8-16 nut. Ask the maintenance man for the building he should have one.

Excellent! Can't thank you and the others enough!! :clap:

Latest posts

Back