Thermostat for new heating system

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pb2

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting a new heating system installed (York 98% efficient furnace with modulating gas vale and ECM motor). I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help with:

a) How does a modulating gas value work? ECM motor makes sense to me.

b) How does the furnace know what BTU to push out? My contractor says that any thermostat would work, so I assume the thermostat doesn't tell it.

c) Any recommendations on a good thermostat to use? My contractor has a simple programmable one that he's willing to install, but says that I have one that I want I can procure it myself. There are a few that are rated high on Amazon, but I want to be sure that they will work with this system.

Thanks,
PB

I'm no HeVac expert, but I got a two stage furnace installed this spring.

I installed a two stage thermostat, so it "decides" whether to run on high or low depending on the difference between the actual temperature and the requested temperature. I could have used a standard thermostat which would have the furnace always start on low and kick to high if the temperature was not met within a time frame, like 12 minutes. A more expensive thermostat senses outside temperature as well as inside temperature and decides based on a combination of factors.

That's more than I know.

Back