Bead board - Above or Behind Tile Baseboard

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA librarian

Reaction score
We want to install cellular wood bead board planking in our bathroom. We also plan on using excess tile for a tile baseboard. Should the bead board be placed on the tile baseboard or should the tile baseboard cover the bead board?

Last edited:
The tile wants to be on something really stable. I would start with something like a 1x4 on the wall and tile to that and put the beadboard above that with a little cap molding of some kind.

I have had good results using tile for thebase board in bathroooms. However, they were set over a tile floor that had a concrete foundation and the walls were good and sound (no water damage/rot in bottom plate).
If you do put tile on the wall with a differant type of floor I would use a laytex modifier in the thinset and use a thin spacer to hold the tile off the floor while you set and grout. Then finish the small gap to the floor with some of that flexible grout in a tube for a calking gun.

your not going to want to put the tile on the beadboard, to many little grooves to deal with and beadboard is not stable enough. I would go with Nealtw's idea.

Back