Floor drain issue w/AC pipe

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
We recently purchased an old farm house and moved out to the country so the misses could have some chickens. Crazy reason to move I know, but a happy wife means a happy life.

The basement is mostly finished, but the furnace area under the steps is not. I'm noticing a heavy musty smell in there, likely from the floor drain in the room.

As you can see in the two attached photos, the AC drain line currently goes into the drain. The house is on a septic and the basement doesn't leak, so I was thinking of sealing off the drain, but then didn't know what I would do with the condensation line. There is a poop grinder and pump next to the furnace, but not sure this is something I'd want to tap into as it's a sealed system for the downstairs shower and toilet.

Any suggestions / recommendations are much appreciated.

ImageUploadedByHome Repair1412517924.462096.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1412518002.743718.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Check that drain for a trap. In newer houses that drain is hooked to the system, has the hot water tank pressure relief valve and a primer valve that should fill the trap. They are sometimes below the level of the floor but you should see other lines going into the floor.

You could install a condensate sump pump to evacuate the runoff to the outside. (see picture) This is commonly done. Next, you could plug the drain hole using what is called a test plug. Seals it and could stop the odor. (see pic). However, I would continue to check for areas of moisture just in case this is not the source.

SUMP.jpg

PLUG.jpg

That's exactly what I needed. I didn't realize those pumps existed. Will be purchasing one tomorrow. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Latest posts

Back