DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Roof repair Project Phase 2 - Back Lana

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:37 PM  
voyager

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I do not mean to discount your being correct about it not being fully effective in the OSHA type standard it is trying to fulfill. You are right!

My need is not for safety, but for feeling safe. Plus, by the 10' or more criteria, there is no reasonable system available for use on a single story residential roof, at least not for a permanent installation that I've been able to find. I see myself as being better off to get it, install it and use it rather than to not do so. It is worth the $200 bucks to me just to have it there. It will make it easier to go up to do the regular maintenance chores I need to do but have been putting off because I don't want to be up there.

It looks like we may never come to an agreement on whether or not this will be doing the job, because we see it as fulfilling 2 different functions. Granted, my need is not by the book. That has never been a problem for me as long as I get what I want out of it.

Last edited by voyager; 03-22-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2836 Times on 2490 Posts
Likes Given: 4675

So that system is designed to save your life if you fall, you will want to adjust it so you never fall.
put a knot in the rope so you never reach the edge of the roof.
Don't use the lanyard that come with it.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM  
voyager

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Well, It looks as if I'll need to think on this a bit more. The ridge cap is nailed on at every ridge in the roof panels, They must have been afraid someone was going to try picking the house up by the ridge cap.

I may be able to shim under the cap with a block of wood to support it. Then, form the strap over the cap and down to the panels on both sides.

Or, go with this type of anchor:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Qualcraft...0560/205533953

I think I like the second type better than routing over the cap.
It is not stocked either and will need to be ordered.
I'd need 6 or 7 of those to get the job done.

@ nealtw
Keep in mind that the only reason I want to get these installed and usable up there is for Pressure washing the black alge off the roof panels, and using a scrub brush on a pole to clean the solar panels, now and in the future. I have no intent of doing any major work up on the metal roof. Everything I'm discussing now is a side issue to the lanai repair job. M'Lady wants the roof cleaned. As long as I'm screwing around with a roof, I'll clean the alge to keep her happy. As long as I'm doing that, I'll clean the solar panels to keep me happy.
All of the lanai repair and rebuild work will be done from ladders or keeling on plywood sheets laying on the lanai roof panels.
There is no need for me to be on the metal roof to get any of the lanai work done.

Last edited by voyager; 03-22-2017 at 04:45 PM.