My first home renovation thread

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

Reaction score
Coming up on 2 years ago my fiance and I purchased a foreclosed Ray Ellison tract house in San Antonio. The house needed a lot of work, it had been worked on by some people who should be banned from using tools of any sort and had things like extension cords as wiring and plywood in doorways. I've slowly been working on it since we moved in, doing it little by little...much of what I use comes from the Habitat ReStores around town
I'll post before & afters in the replies since there's a cap on how many pics I can have in a post

Front, new windows are in the plans, as is a new roof and an addition where the carport used to be (more on that later)
Before:
rcmywz.jpg

After:
1593zb.jpg

Living Room
Before:
51cz5u.jpg

After:
2nw00w0.jpg

I also refinished my front door, I love wood doors, absolutely despise any other type
12388dx.jpg
2m47sie.jpg

Dining Room:
Before:
hrah3a.jpg

After:
opvkpk.jpg

Kitchen, I've tweaked the layout to include a dishwasher, this includes removing the wall next to the fridge....plans for the future
Before:
2nw3haw.jpg

After:
21ndu9d.jpg

Bathroom, I had to rebuild the wall behind the sink and toilet because it had termite damage, I'm also replacing the tub with a regular one and tiles
Before:
21awbv9.jpg

After:
330e36h.jpg

Back add-on, it's 2 rooms built onto an old patio...the floor slopes because it was an old patio but these 2 rooms are basically just used for storage anyway. Biggest thing I did was take out the massive sliding glass door
Before:
2ih8k6a.jpg
2ir5fgx.jpg

After:
2rp32o0.jpg
116miro.jpg

The washer & Dryer will be relocated to the future addition when it's built

All the bedrooms were basically the same, so I'll put just one "Before" and the 3 "Afters"
2zgais1.jpg

2qujhnq.jpg
2mrt8b4.jpg

16bd0nq.jpg

The addition will be on the side of the house where the carport used to be and will feature a new master bedroom with french doors facing the front, pantry/laundry, and walk in closet
25fpqw6.jpg
w8mjax.jpg

166zlle.jpg
11v0ga0.jpg

Thanks! First time my parents, and my GF for that matter, saw the house they couldn't believe I wanted to live there, but I saw what it could be, not what it was. First thing I did was rip out the wood paneling in the kitchen and dining room, as well as fix the central a/c of course!

Unfortunately my Mom passed away about 6 months after we bought the house, that's why there's so much stuff in it, I had to clean out their house, which was close to 3,000 sq ft because my Dad wanted to sell it

You did a great job on the remodeling ... from what I can see. Now is the time for some very serious de-cluttering, so you can enjoy the work. Can you use attic space for storage of keepsakes?

Back