electrical question-help please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocnprknatv

Reaction score
I'm not sure what this means or if I should be worried and yelling for an electrician. I woke up this morning, and all of the top outlets are not working in my living room. I unplugged the lamp from the top and put it in the bottom one, and that one works. I did this on three of the outlets in this room and the lamp or tv now will turn on, but not if I plug the cords into the top. Does anyone know why this would happen, and what do I do about it? Thanks so much for any help!

A lot of times one of the two outlet sets is wired for a wall switch so that you can switch lights on from a single location.

CraigFL - That was my first thought as well. I have never seen multiple tops on one switch but that doesn't mean it couldn't be that way. It could also be two circuits (also not common). could also be a split circuit with a shared nutral. (not common).

So, to the OP - Look for a switch that you forgot you had and switch it back on, also check for a tripped breaker. If you find neither then switch your breakers off then on. If this doesn't solve your issue then it might be time to call an electrician.

I like craigs answer so find that light switch that you had no idea what it did and switch it. If that doesnt work on the same principle there could be 2 circuits one for the top another for the bottom rarely done but check your breaker box for a tripped breaker.

And if you're handy... remove an outlet to verify that the connector between the two sockets is broken off/removed telling you that the outlets operate independantly.

BTW... The reason I suggested the switch is because I had a situation like this. It was a three way with a switch behind a bookshelf(never used and forgotton about) that had shifted over the years and partially tripped the switch so the circuit was dead!

I think it was the switch on the wall. I'd forgotten about it, and I didn't realise that it was hooked up to three outlets. I know I've hit it a few times in the past and it would knock out the TV...so I played around and figure that's what it is, and then I plugged in one of the lamps to it, and tadaaaa...now I can turn the light on when I walk in the door. Feel like an idiot for freaking out now...but appreciate everyone's help and answers!!

Now that we know what happened, I would like to mention that if you don't want to hassle with this again, simply remove the switch and splice the two wire that come off the switch, toghether. You can reinstall the switch and cover just for looks or you can install a blank to cover up the opening where the switch used to be.

I had to do this in my apt. once because everyone thought it was the patio light switch and kept knocking the programming out of my entertainment center equipment.

You can buy a little snap cap that fits over the toggle. You must first unsnap the little door to access it. I have this on my exterior spot light switch as lights are now motion activated.

Back