Floor Drain for AC Condensate Discharge

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trap stops flue gases from entering the drain pipe, and allows free flow, or stopping "water slugging". That's also why you have to trap a/c condensate with the evap coil on the negative side of the blower.

The trap is on the negative side of the blower. if the trap was not in place, the blower would suck air up through the drain line not allowing the condensate to flow out. thus causing a flooding problem.

Just following what my HVAC man told me. Makes sense.

I hope this helps.

Sounds as though many ideas. Mine works and have had no issues for 30 years.

But the code says you need a 2" gap between the pipe and the vessel so the fan dosn't suck sewer into the AC and this particular set up the pipe just sat above the drain and spilled water on the floor. So it looks like they want it both ways. If a trap works don't worry about the sewer backing up, so what's the gap for? I'm just trying to understand. I guess we need your HVAC to explain it.:rolleyes: And welcome to the site:beer:

The condensate pipe just goes down into the drain opening. When a sewer backup occurs it will spill out onto your floor. It will not be sucked up into the equipment because you a P-trap with water in the elbow. Water prevents any suction.
Mine has been working this way for 25 years and no issues.

Back