Ceiling Joist In Way of Fan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remout

Reaction score
Yup, right where I want to put a ceiling fan is a pesky joist. The joists are 2 x 6 and this is in an area of new construction where the ceiling has not been put in yet. I have good access, if I need to cut and box it in or something.

What's the right way?

Thanks!

If your framing is open and the shallow box is going to be deep enough for your wires, I would notch the joist the .25 so the box comes flush. Don’t cut a square corner into it with a saber saw feather it in and out.

Do this all the time. Just finished installing a house full of fans in a beautiful Charleston house. I PREFER the joist to be "in the way" because you can cut in what we call a "pancake box" and screw it solidly to the joist with two screws. No complicated and expensive fan bar hanger.

Ceiling 1.jpg

Ceiling 2.jpg

Ceiling 3.jpg

Do this all the time. Just finished installing a house full of fans in a beautiful Charleston house. I PREFER the joist to be "in the way" because you can cut in what we call a "pancake box" and screw it solidly to the joist with two screws. No complicated and expensive fan bar hanger.

Thank you for taking the time to post those pics!

Back