Ceiling fan on a concrete ceiling ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEllis326

Reaction score
I've been asked to install a ceiling fan in a friends condo. I pulled the light fixture off and found there was nothing to mount the fan on. There's no joists, no beam, nothing up there just the concrete slab that makes up the floor of the apartment above. The electric box was just sitting on top with the light attached to it.

The ceiling in the condo is nice and flat, when you look at the edge of the hole you see a steel mesh of some sort that has either cement or an extremely hard plaster spread on it with a thin white outer face coat. Above that is a space about 10-12 inches high and is just open space to the sides (See photos). Does anyone know a way to mount a fan in this situation?
Img1865_IMG_3248b.jpg
Img1866_IMG_3249b.jpg
Img1867_IMG_3250b.jpg
Img1868_IMG_3251b.jpg

I want to know also...
popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

neal good idea, lemmie add

you need something called unistrut

075114013093.jpg

3792-694.jpg

drill will not even fit up in a 4'' hole. hommie gonna have to cut a hole.

oh, i forgot, the kinder,gentler me.

yes, that sounds like a good idea, i am sure you will enjoy the fruits of your diy efforts for years to come.

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't think I can cut the hole bigger. The mesh in the ceiling is like expanded sheet metal, not screen.

I need to find out what the condo assoc, requires for doing something like that since I'll be drilling into the floor above.

Thanks again!

drill will not even fit up in a 4'' hole. hommie gonna have to cut a hole.,

oh, i forgot, the kinder,gentler me.

Likely story.

I have 8 "hommies" sold from a vending machine for $.50ea.

yes, that sounds like a good idea, i am sure you will enjoy the fruits of your diy efforts for years to come.

Actually your method is how we hang projectors at HUGHES and RAYTHEON.

We use a 6" unistrut and 1/2" bolts into the robertson decking. There are 15" SDS masonry bits.

2, 1/2" all-thread keep the lower 12" unistrut tight against the riblath.

Likely story.

I have 8 "hommies" sold from a vending machine for $.50ea.

Actually your method is how we hang projectors at HUGHES and RAYTHEON.

We use a 6" unistrut and 1/2" bolts into the robertson decking. There are 15" SDS masonry bits.

2, 1/2" all-thread keep the lower 12" unistrut tight against the riblath.

yep, the reason i say hang it that way,

IMO, the rod will twist slightly when fan is turned on if rod is installed direct to electricalbox. you will get wobble

if you use strut it will not twist.no wobble

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't think I can cut the hole bigger. The mesh in the ceiling is like expanded sheet metal, not screen.

I need to find out what the condo assoc, requires for doing something like that since I'll be drilling into the floor above.

Thanks again!

there is another way,

it will fit in the hole..I THINK

you can find it a a tool rental store.

hilti makes a 25 caliber nail gun on an extension pole

Last edited:
I would caution against that, because of fan wobble.

Back