Crawl Space under house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tglan068

Reaction score
Hi,

not sure if this is in the right place..

I recently noticed feral cats scurrying from under my house.. I checked the crawl space and noticed a bunch of cat poop and ammonia smell from there.. I need to pull all that out.. once I get the vapor barrier up can I put something down to coat or seal the cement??

thanks

Welcome to the site.
Where are you planning to put vapor barrier up to, it usually covers the floor or is below concrete floor.

I would first remove any opportunity for animals to gain access to the crawl space before I worried about anything else.

Is there a solid concrete base under the house?

Perhaps you could describe the floor structure supporting the "concrete floor", approximately, from the ground up.

Or at least a photo of the crawl space.

If you have the height to handle it, something like this will help you get the concrete floor clean.

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/detail/1290/1501385/pressure-washer-water-buffer/

It attaches to a pressure washer. You can suck up the water with a wet dry vac. First thing is to get the crawlspace secure so the cats can't get in. No need in cleaning it if they can come in right after you're done and soil it again.

After cleaning, I'd be tempted to put in a dehumidifier to dry the space out. To be effective, you'd need to seal it from outside air. Alternatively, you could install fans to get the air moving under your house. For any finish to work the concrete will need to be dry or they will fail.

Back