Soffit ventilation question.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pull10k

Reaction score
I have had a roof put on and the bottom of the soffit is solid wood (replaced by my contractor) He installed a ridge vent up top. I asked about the lack of any venting in the soffit and therefore the ineffective ridge vent. I was then charged to put holes 1 between each rafter. $90. Am I crazy? :confused:
I am paying HUGE for a "top tier" company, and it was THEIR employee who pointed out it was done wrong, to me in private.
I don't want to "out" someone who helped me so I need somebody elses sound opinion.
Thanks, Terry

Just tell the contractor your not paying extra for something that should've been done to begin with. I would wait until the job is done to contest it though. He will not want to risk getting a bad online review over $90.

Just tell the contractor your not paying extra for something that should've been done to begin with. I would wait until the job is done to contest it though. He will not want to risk getting a bad online review over $90.

Here is a quandary then. I asked for 2 items to be dropped from the contract since they were not going to do them. He bundled my "credit" with the $90 charge in a 'field order", essentially handcuffing me to agree to the charge to get the credit.

One hole is not enough. Really, these should be vented panels. Or at least 1 sq ft of venting at each location, but 2 sq ft would be better. If it were me, I would pay this guy and send him on his way and then take care of it myself. There is time and materials in cutting these holes and putting in venting, so his extra charge is not that unreasonable if you were paying by the hour - what is unreasonable is that he did not do the job properly.

Last edited:
Back