what to do?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

Over the last 7 years I have put a few lawns in my back yard and have seeded and maintained like no other and am tired of it. I have two dogs and live in the armpit of hell. So between dog pee, dogs chewing off sprinkler heads and the sun and heat beating down it is close to impossible to keep a nice lawn. I had one summer that it stayed nice but I was out there several times a week and on the weekend fixing and repairing things.

The plan was to put in a pool this year but with a mishap at work that cost me a good amount and the fact that we are outgrowing this place at a fast rate we will likely be moving in the next few years so the pool idea has been put on hold. We will however probably get an above ground pool that will last a few years. My question is what to do with the rest of the yard? I like grass for many reasons but don't want the maintenance anymore. I like the idea of fake grass but don't know if it would hold up to the dogs? Also I have one dog that grazes like a cow and don't want to ruin her diet either. What should I do?

Here are a couple pics of what I have now and the section I am working with is probably 20 x 30 or so.

I brought home a couple of my tractors a few weeks ago prepping for the pool and getting rid of my planter wall that now I should have kept so that is pretty much how it looks and I hate it. I want a yard I don't mind hanging out in.

Old pics 239.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Problem is grass was not meant to live in this desert. I can keep it alive with extra water but at 300-400 a month I would rather not. I may try it out again but my 7 year fight I keep losing.

So a well designed desert scape with a patch of grass for the dog to eat like people grow for indoor cats.

That is nice too. I will give it some thought. I want clean. I am tired of dirt everywhere and the dogs tracking it around. I guess DG would work for parts of that.

So far thinking of making a larger patio and making a sidewalk around the perimeter and having a smaller lawn area to work with, still up in the air on fake lawn or real lawn. Real is cheaper now but more expensive in the long run and fake is more expensive now but will save much more in the long run.

I'd recommend a plastic lawn with a putting green. Tons of fun for the kids. Yeah, it will cost a bit more but water is just going to get more expensive down the road.

They say they work great but of course they will tell you everything you want to hear to get you to buy it. I don't know of anyone that has one or I'd ask. If I went that route I would keep my irrigation system so I could at least let it wash it off every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I had a 3 hole putting green installed at my dad's place. It worked very well for their little poodle, and hosed off nicely. In the fall, I would take a vacuum for the leaves and it always looked good.

If I went that route I would keep my irrigation system so I could at least let it wash it off every now and then.

I'd like to see the look on the next owner's face when they see artificial grass with an irrigation system:D You would have to come up with some great story to go with that!

My son lives in Az and 90% are artificial turf 9% stones and 1% real grass where he lives. The real lawns are always nasty looking. I was out walking and I saw a real lawn that looked like home in Pa. On close inspection it was fake compleat with fake weeds. Even the cut wasn't perfect. I was impressed.

That is how the stuff is that I am looking at.

Here I sit this morning on my tractor in the back yard thinking what to do?
ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401723323.692235.jpg

You are not considering demolishing those patios, are you? Where in the hell am I going to sleep after passing out at the bar?

Patios are staying. I'm just taking advantage of slow times when I have employees at my disposal.ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401724646.992808.jpg

How about a Zen Garden and replace all the grass with DG? After all, you could use the Zen to decompress.

As long as it is built on concrete. It sucks I am not a concrete guy at all but living in this desert it is impossible to keep things alive.

I did clean it up now to decide what to do. ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401733655.109870.jpg

Back