Famowood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or insight on Famowood filler?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I figured that I would provide my personal review based on current experience. I bought two colors for a red oak table I am making. I bought red oak and oak/teak. The red oak was way too dark and so was the oak/teak. They were so off I couldn't even use them. I will say though that the Famowood does not shrink at all and does sand very nicely. If you can match the color it seems like a great product. Just beware the colors are off. I actually wound up mixing a lot of saw dust from the table with glue and made my own. This seems to have worked very well.

There is a wood filler product that is basically saw dust and some kind of glue paste. I don’t know the name but the old guy that was helping me with the house had about a half-gallon left over from a floor job. It was very light color and we couldn’t use it when we sanded my chestnut floors and he left it behind. When I went to do the cat clawed banister, I needed something to fill these deep gouges and that was all made from red oak and all I had was this light paste. I added a dark oak stain to the floor filler paste a little at a time and got it to match perfect.

You might try in the future mixing the stuff you bought down with a lighter product and see what happens. I did it by adding stain but I would think mixing two pastes together would be the same idea.

Thanks Bud for the tip. I did try mixing the two colors but still no good. The saw dust and wood glue worked out great.

Back