Switching from cooktop to range- circuit questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostinnc

Reaction score
My house has an electric cooktop served by a 30 amp breaker and the cable shown in the attachment.

I want to switch to an electric range, but I don't know if I need a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit for the range, and I'm not sure if the existing cable will be adequate.

I think that the existing cable is a "service entrance" cable, and that it's 8 gauge, two conductor plus ground (I would like help identifying the cable, though, since I'm not sure.) I know for sure that the existing breaker is a 30 amp breaker.

I'm trying to figure out what the code requires (as opposed to individual preferences, etc.) Any help would be most appreciated.

stove.jpg

IMG_20151223_160441-2.jpg

My house has an electric cooktop served by a 30 amp breaker and the cable shown in the attachment.

I want to switch to an electric range, but I don't know if I need a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit for the range, and I'm not sure if the existing cable will be adequate.

I think that the existing cable is a "service entrance" cable, and that it's 8 gauge, two conductor plus ground (I would like help identifying the cable, though, since I'm not sure.) I know for sure that the existing breaker is a 30 amp breaker.

I'm trying to figure out what the code requires (as opposed to individual preferences, etc.) Any help would be most appreciated.

The method of determining the circuit requirements is simple math.

The nomenclature tage indicates 10.5KW at 120/240V, so if your standard service provides 120/240V you would divide 10,500KW by 240V with the result being 43.75 amps.

To power this appliance efficiently you will need #6 conductor connected to a 50 amp breaker.

You will also need to permit the upgrade, terminate it in a "J" box where the appliance pigtail can be connected.

When you buy the stove make sure it has instructions on how to wire into a three wire outlet. You should be good for 40 amps I think. The pros should be along soon to orrect any bad info I hae given you.
And welcome and merry Xmas

The stove was used and already had a three-prong outlet attached.

You've answered my question, though. I knew the math was simple, but I wasn't sure which numbers went where in the equation.

Thank you for your response, and Merry Christmas to you.

The stove was used and already had a three-prong outlet attached.

You've answered my question, though. I knew the math was simple, but I wasn't sure which numbers went where in the equation.

Thank you for your response, and Merry Christmas to you.

And to you well as a happy new year.

A lot of people think that KW is some trade code and don't pursue it beyond that.

If you are on a raised foundation it is a common practice to mount the recepticle box on the floor, however, the length of the cord will dictate the most advantageous location.

Back