My experience with a home warranty....

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkingonsunshine

NoTitleNeeded
Reaction score
My husband and I are very handy and have always built our homes but after buying a used home for the first time, it made us nervous. My home is beautiful but builder grade on all appliances and havoc, and I am not use to that. We bought our warranty because my sister had a warranty and spoke very highly of another company. I got online and read many reviews and decided on choice. They were cheaper than the competition! It has almost been a year and my warranty was about to expire and I hadn’t needed it until the a/c stopped working. I called Choice and they set my claim in motion. In a few hours it was all done. The technician was from a reputable local business and professional. He fixed the problem and my a/c was cooling again. I will be renewing my warranty! If you have considered a home warranty service I strongly recommend you get a quote from Choice!
(link removed by moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of those home warranty businesses are a scam in my opinion. In one house I purchased, I had a cracked toilet tank. Instead of replacing the entire toilet, they replaced the tank with one that was a different color. When I told them this was unacceptable, they told me to read the fine print.

My latest house had the A/C condensate line get clogged up. It flooded 3 rooms. When I called my home warranty company, they told me to read the fine print and said this was a normal maintenance issue, and not covered.

My pool heater quit working so I called my home warranty company. They agreed that it needed repair at the tune of $2900. Three months later, when nobody replaced my heater, they sent me a check for $875, saying the maximum claim was $1000, but the cost of the repairman who came out to tell me the unit was toast was $125, so here is your $875. They also warned me that since they have paid off the maximum amount available, no other pool issues would be dealt with as coverage has been terminated.

Most of those home warranty businesses are a scam in my opinion.

On a similar note her brother was selling his house and he had an offer that came with stipulations. The buyer had a list of things that had to be done as a condition of sale. So I went over to help him with the stuff he didn’t know how to do. On the list was replace the toilet tank lid as it had a chip in the back of it you couldn’t even see, or replace the toilet. All the toilets in the house matched and were very expensive. It would have taken a month to order a lid to match. So we bought a $35 and stuck it in and the people were happy.

Actually everything on the list I wouldn’t have worried about or rather done right myself as the buyer after the sale.

The first house we bought years ago came with a 90 warranty on everything. About a week after we moved in the fridge died and they gave us a brand new one for the old piece of junk that was there. Only time in my life I actually saw a warranty like that work.

I have had some good luck with warranties but have learned its all in what you say. In my last house they put in an entire new AC system that cost me 60 bucks. In my current house My warranty expires in two months so I called them because my downdraft stove vent wasn't working right and a day later my heater element got stuck on, I am getting the stove fixed and they are replacing the furnace because the fan was out of balance and sending metal chunks into the elements causing the issues.

I've now learned they have a gold, silver, platinum and diamond plans. Since these home warranties were provided to us by the seller, we should have paid closer attention to which plan they offered. If you get the diamond plan, yeah, it's great, but the $3k -$4k price is a tad high IMHO.

My husband and I are very handy and have always built our homes but after buying a used home for the first time, it made us nervous. My home is beautiful but builder grade on all appliances and havoc, and I am not use to that. We bought our warranty because my sister had a warranty and spoke very highly of another company. I got online and read many reviews and decided on choice. They were cheaper than the competition! It has almost been a year and my warranty was about to expire and I hadn’t needed it until the a/c stopped working. I called Choice and they set my claim in motion. In a few hours it was all done. The technician was from a reputable local business and professional. He fixed the problem and my a/c was cooling again. I will be renewing my warranty! If you have considered a home warranty service I strongly recommend you get a quote from Choice!
(link removed by moderator)
its never a bad idea to get the warranty in new appliances :agree:

Home warranties work on percentage. There are so many things that will break down out of a hundred. If you buy a plan for new things or buy a whole house deal, how much do you spend in a life time just in case some of those things go bad. That % is the same for you as it is for the warranty company except they are adding 20 or 30 %.
In my life I have bought one at the insistence of the ex wife when we bought a 4x4 truck. She did a panic stop and the anti lock brakes were pulsating so she took it in under warranty to have it fixed. Of coarse they looked and then told her that it was normal, and that will be $100. Not covered as there was nothing to fix.

So I would like to change my opinion on home warranties. I had two claims in the last couple weeks. One was for my furnace, it was hard getting a vendor to come out my way because we are 30 minutes out of town so one company said no and one showed up, he diagnosed my furnace and took some parts out to order new ones and scheduled us for a week later to install the new parts, that would have been this last Monday. So Monday rolls around and we get a call from the contractor and he told us that he had to let go his HVAC guy so they will no longer be fixing our Furnace, they called the warranty company and cancelled our claim. We call the warranty company and they tell us that they don't have any other vendors and that we will have to hire our own contractor and submit the bill for any approval and within 5-6 weeks they will decide if they are going to cover the costs and if they do it will be at a discounted rate because they do not pay retail. I told them I will not be hiring my own contractor and going through that scam and that they need to find a vendor. They are once again looking into it. I have to call them daily to restart their search for a vendor because by their rules they only need to send out one email or phone call to a vendor per claim to see if they will respond. It looks like we will be heating our house by fire this winter.

Back