Basement Remodel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oohum02

Reaction score
I have an unfinished basement and would like to begin work on finishing it but have a question first. We have a poured basement wall so it's concrete in the center but there is probably two inches worth the styrofoam on the outside. How will this affect how I insulate and protect against moisture. I would rather not spare the money when it comes to protecting the expensive equipment that will eventually be stored in the basement. I just want to keep moisture out, heat in and make it look nice. I need any advice I can get as I've never done this before. Thanks a lot!!!

Hey OOHUM:
Are your basement walls poured with the new styrofoam forms? I'm really impressed with that method. You have plenty of insulation there and if you don't see any leaks in a year you can consider yourself blessed with an almost perfect basement.
For your wall finish, you can glue gypsum wallboard (sheet rock) directly to the styrofoam. Contech makes PL200 just for that application. Follow their instructions and you can have a permanent wall and a comfortable basement.
Partition walls can be made with wood or steel studs and covered with gypsum wallboard or paneling. Carpet on the floor and a lay-in tile ceiling will finish it off. I prefer the lay-in tile because it gives ready access to whatever may need repairs above the ceiling.
Glenn

Glenn:
I am in the middle of finishing a basement. It is turning out great i just have a few finishing touches.
Question is: There is a drain in the middle of the floor that is sunken in about an inch and sloped about a 2 foot circle around it . The owner wants to carpet which i wont be doing. The owner never noticed any water in the basement. how do I address this for the carpet people. the only thing i can think of is to put another drain on top of the old and cement everything level and flush. any other suggestions?

Glenn:
I am in the middle of finishing a basement. It is turning out great i just have a few finishing touches.
Question is: There is a drain in the middle of the floor that is sunken in about an inch and sloped about a 2 foot circle around it . The owner wants to carpet which i wont be doing. The owner never noticed any water in the basement. how do I address this for the carpet people. the only thing i can think of is to put another drain on top of the old and cement everything level and flush. any other suggestions?

I know you don't mean to, but you're hijacking someone elses thread. You shoud start a new topic for this. ;)

I have an unfinished basement and would like to begin work on finishing it but have a question first. We have a poured basement wall so it's concrete in the center but there is probably two inches worth the styrofoam on the outside. How will this affect how I insulate and protect against moisture. I would rather not spare the money when it comes to protecting the expensive equipment that will eventually be stored in the basement. I just want to keep moisture out, heat in and make it look nice. I need any advice I can get as I've never done this before. Thanks a lot!!!

You may want to look into a basement wall system, such as Owens Corning http://franchising.owenscorning.com/bfs/ , or similar. This way you have much easier access to the foundation wall, should you ever need it.

Hey Justin:
I would not fill in the depression around the drain. If the water heater bursts in the basement they still need a place to drain it and using a squegiee to push the water allows a place for it to puddle so it can drain. The carpet man can handle the depression.
Glenn

Glenn

I like your answer less work for me.

Back