hardwood floor refinishing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eheld

Reaction score
Hi! New to this site. Has anyone ever heard of sandless floor refinishing?
Trying to find out if this is the way to go- apparently cheaper with little down time. We want to put the house up for sale and want to spend the least amount of money to make it look good.
Need some advice please!
Eileen

The sanldess refinishing is only if you have no scratches down through the finish to the wood.It basically will recover surface scratches,scuffs and general wear areas that have lost their shine. I just did mine yesterday, since I had scratches and wear down to the wood in an early1930's house I just bought as a second retreat.I think a person could save money, if it just needs a new shining, by renting a good polisher and try that first, that way you can do areas, move things and keep going, rather than emptying the whole room out.

ww, did you sand and refinish then? my husband and i may opt to do this on a home we are (hopefully) purchasing. i've heard it is very easy to screw up the sanding part but we are on such a tight budget we may have no choice but to tackle it ourselves. this house is from the 1930s so there is no way the scratches and marring are superficial; sanding seems inevitable. any thoughts, pointers, or links are appreciated.

eheld, what did you decide?

oh and hello, my first post here.

Hi idon'tknow, and welcome to the forum :)

I'm facing the very same dilemma here in my 1936(or38?) Bungalow...junked floors and only a little $$ :rolleyes: But--I really think doing it myself is going to be well worth the effort. And for you too ;)
Anyway, I'm still in the researching stage of refinishing these old floors. I came across a website in my research that I thought you could use:
http://www.ehow.com/how_1856_refinish-hardwood-floor.html

I can't say how 'good' the site is until I've actually done my floors, but it seems to cover everything. I hope it's helpful, please let us know how it goes!

I sanded them, with an orbital buff pad sander (rectangular soft scrubbing pad material and sanding sheets adhere to pad). Starting with 36 grit, then 60, 80 100.I had some areas through the varathane and down to bare wood, so needed to make sure it was levelled out good. I spoke with some freinds with lots of experience in wood floors etc, and opted to use a urethane varnish, instead of varathane, because of the harder more durable finish. I have 2 alaskan malamutes that want to be inside lounging off and on, and the finish is holding up fine, no scratch issues.

Back