Deck to far gone?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYZombie

Reaction score
I've got a porch I need an opinion if it is too far gone to salvage or if I should start over? It hasn't been painted/sealed in a looong time. I know I have to replace the steps at least. Also the base of the the stairs was a platform built over the main sewer clean out. The box/ platform was sitting right on ground so its all rotted out. The clean out needs to be accessible . Any better suggestions on that?

image-1961489232.jpg

image-3474173817.jpg

image-3187852789.jpg

The steps look pretty bad, I'd suggest taking a pressure washer to the rest of it. Then take a screw driver or pocket knife and see just how much bad wood there is before you do a total demo.

If the elevation works out, place a piece of 6 or 8" pvc around the cleanout and pour a small pad. You can use a coupling and add a cap to keep the dirt out and protect the opening. Recess the cap enough to get the square on top below surface height. Another option is to leave a square opening with a shoulder to accept a plastic grate which you can get at any home supply store. This should leave access to the cleanout and eliminate your rot problem.

Back